Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I've been experimenting.....

Today I have a layout to share that was created entirely for the opportunity  to try a couple of things out.  I used the cheapest of the cheap supplies so I wouldn't fear wasting anything "good".  I know we're only dealing with pretty paper here, but I can't truly let go and play with my supplies if I think the result might be a  disaster!

I have used the negative space left from die-cutting on cards before, but never on a layout.  So I took a 12x12 sheet of Kraft and cut my title using my Silhouette Cameo.  I slipped some patterned paper behind the title, moving it around until the parts I wanted showed through.  I love how this turned out.




The next thing I wanted to try was to print some digital papers and elements onto cardstock and use them on a physical layout.  I used the Dear Lizzy Lucky Charm Collection.  I have used this collection digitally for my Project Life and have seen the physical product and I just love both versions.  So I figured why not just print some to use on my layout?  Well, I have a Brother HL-3040CN which is a colour LASER printer.  It' a great printer for documents, but not real flash for photos or digital scrapbooking products.  The colours were washed out and not even the same shade as what I expected in a lot of cases.  






However, once I layered the printed papers and elements on my kraft cardstock background, it didn't totally suck.  I was happy with how the page was laid out visually, and I was thrilled with how my title turned out.  I would love to be able to justify purchasing a really top-quality colour inkjet printer, but I love my Picturemate for photo printing and I usually use "real" scrapbooking products on my pages and keep the digi stuff for my PL pages.  So will this page be submitted for publication anywhere? NOPE!  Will it go into an album alongside every other layout?  YOU BETCHA!



No comments:

Post a Comment